Friday, November 9, 2012

Catching Up and the Ah-ha's of Life

I think about this blog on occasion. It seems like it's been forever since I've come over here to write an entry. But the other day I cooked dinner, and I realized something. I have actually improved as a cook. I'm not completely sure when that happened.

The thought that I had improved came to me as I was cooking up some "faux" fried chicken. I had learned to make a baked version of fried chicken from a recipe I'd found online a long while back. I have long since lost the recipe and the link to whichever web site it was on, but the basic idea of the chicken stuck in my mind.

So when I went to my refrigerator looking for something to cook for dinner, it just popped into my head. And surprise of all surprises, I  knew how to do it, no recipe needed. I added my own seasonings from what I had on hand, no exact measuring, no web site telling me to do this or that. And then came the moment of truth... how did it taste?

Excellent! My chicken, and it truly was MY chicken because it was all my own concoction came out great! It was crispy and flavorful and juicy. I can't say I know exactly where I learned. I just know I learned. I guess all of those recipes and dinnertime failures have been paying off!

This little culinary revelation has made me begin to think that I really can grow in the kitchen. And it has also made me think that I should start blogging about the journey again. Perhaps then, my next culinary ah-ha moment won't catch me so much by surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment